Ray, I think you've hit on a real point there.

On 11 July 2011 22:48, Denenberg, Ray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[...]

Three.
1964/2008.
(1) Does it mean that interval of time, or
(2) Is it a way to represent when an event occurred, saying "it occurred sometime between 1964 and 2008".

And my understanding is that this question is out of scope, it could be either, it is a matter for the application to specify for a given data element.

Personally, I cannot see any advantage in this ambiguity. It would be really helpful if, at least, it was completely clear from the syntax whether one was referring to the whole of an interval, or to a moment in time somewhere in an interval.

Think of it like this - the way the proposal is at the moment, you are not allowing people to unambiguously state whether they are referring to an interval or a point in time within that interval.

And it would be perfectly possible - quite easy in fact - with appropriate modifications to the spec.

Simon
--
Simon Grant
+44 7710031657