Dear Melinda

Is it possible to know who is asking for assigning a code point to
Montenegrin ?

NB
I would like to make once again the point that the 4 languages "derived"
from Serbo-Croatian  (Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin and Serbian
collectively known as BCMS) are going (in a not too far future) to be
official languages of countries candidates to be members of the European
Union*...!!!
Three of them will have an alpha-2 ISO 639 code-point, and one no code point
at all !!!

Best regards

François Demay

* Croatia is the first.
An obstacle for Serbia has been lifted
Montenegro may even come before Bosnia-Herzegovina !!!
..

See :

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2974&PN=1

In cases where speakers would feel that their words would be unclear, they
would use a term which is considered to be better understood. However, one
should be aware that natives of the respective countries sometimes have
strong feelings about “their” language or dialect. For example, a Croat may
be quick to correct someone if that person were to use inadvertently a word
or phrase that is considered “un-Croatian” (i.e. something that is more
frequently used by people living in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro or
Serbia.) even though this word or phrase in question is understood by anyone
in Croatia and part of standard Croatian per descriptive dictionaries. For
learners accustomed to or fluent in pluricentric languages such as English,
German, Portuguese or Spanish, they may find it socially beneficial to be
aware of characteristics, words or structures prescribed or occurring most
frequently in the respective standard languages. An analogy of this kind of
care from learners of English would be for them to note that using “to
dispatch” in the USA rather than “to ship” may cause Americans to insist on
using the latter even though the former is understandable but being
perceived as something “un-American”. In a more general sense, learning BCMS
is a useful introduction to future learning of Slavonic languages as it
still shares many of the features in other Slavonic languages. Regardless of
which “letter” of BCMS learners focus on or choose, they should not be
surprised to hear from native speakers on being praised for using “Bosnian”,
“Montenegrin” or “Serbian” perfectly even if the learner has focused on
“Croatian”, for example.

see

http://europa.eu/

and try to project this page 3 or 5 years in the future
What language(s) for BCMS ???