Dear Melinda

Is it possible to know who is asking for assigning a code point to Montenegrin ?

NB
I would like to make once again the point that the 4 languages "derived" from Serbo-Croatian  (Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin and Serbian collectively known as BCMS) are going (in a not too far future) to be official languages of countries candidates to be members of the European Union*...!!!
Three of them will have an alpha-2 ISO 639 code-point, and one no code point at all !!!

Best regards

François Demay

* Croatia is the first.
An obstacle for Serbia has been lifted
Montenegro may even come before Bosnia-Herzegovina !!!
..

See :

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2974&PN=1

In cases where speakers would feel that their words would be unclear, they would use a term which is considered to be better understood. However, one should be aware that natives of the respective countries sometimes have strong feelings about “their” language or dialect. For example, a Croat may be quick to correct someone if that person were to use inadvertently a word or phrase that is considered “un-Croatian” (i.e. something that is more frequently used by people living in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro or Serbia.) even though this word or phrase in question is understood by anyone in Croatia and part of standard Croatian per descriptive dictionaries. For learners accustomed to or fluent in pluricentric languages such as English, German, Portuguese or Spanish, they may find it socially beneficial to be aware of characteristics, words or structures prescribed or occurring most frequently in the respective standard languages. An analogy of this kind of care from learners of English would be for them to note that using “to dispatch” in the USA rather than “to ship” may cause Americans to insist on using the latter even though the former is understandable but being perceived as something “un-American”. In a more general sense, learning BCMS is a useful introduction to future learning of Slavonic languages as it still shares many of the features in other Slavonic languages. Regardless of which “letter” of BCMS learners focus on or choose, they should not be surprised to hear from native speakers on being praised for using “Bosnian”, “Montenegrin” or “Serbian” perfectly even if the learner has focused on “Croatian”, for example.

see

http://europa.eu/

and try to project this page 3 or 5 years in the future
What language(s) for BCMS ???