Martin,
If I were a gambling man I would bet on somebody using either
an Ethernet over powerline or some other kind of multiplexer that use the AC
wiring to distribute a signal or make a connection that is inconvenient to
do via actual installed cable.
Does the signal come and go at different times of the day? Is it a steady
signal or does it modulate?

All the best,
-mark