On 8/16/2011 2:59 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
> Hey now, I never "tell" anyone to do anything on this list. "Suggest"
> is my preferred term. ;)

We might be taking your suggestions with more authority than you have
expected!!

> 35 years is enough time to make your bones off a song. It should go
> into the PD after that.

That being said, I agree that 35 years is enough for the company but I
like the performer able to get it back if they or heirs are around to
profit off it, so I think they should have more than 35 years as a
person.  (I am thoroughly against the damn fool idea that a company is a
person.  Stupid, stupid, stupid idea.)  The original term in the 1909
law was 28 years plus a renewal of another 28 for a total of 56.  There
was a recapture clause that allowed an author to regain a subsidiary
rights assignment at the point of the renewal, and I guess the 35 year
clause in the new law was a replacement.  Remember, most other countries
have a 50 year term.

The other aspect discussed in the article was the "for hire" aspect of
the relationship between the performers and the record company.  I have
a feeling that there will be a lot of judges and a lot of legislators
who might get rich in the next year or two from the RIAA's lobbying money.

> However, one thing that crossed my mind is, you shouldn't be able to
> lift phrases and words wholesale from a PD song and get a copyright
> for it. How does that get enforced? What's "wholesale lifting" in the
> legal sense? Gray area!  -- Tom Fine

You can copyright an "arrangement" of a composition, sharing with the
original composer if it is in copyright but all yours if it is P.D.
Somebody was able to successfully sue a record company and orchestra a
couple of years ago for performing and recording their "edition" of a
Baroque era work without royalties!  I don't think Bach or whoever shared!

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]