On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 10:42:23 -0400, Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress wrote
> > 205 - A reader may wonder why the following is not allowed:
> >
> > 2004-06-uu/2004-07-03
> >
> > when we mean that an event began on an unspecified day in june 2004.
>
> I've added this.

I think we need to be a bit more careful using our language.
2004-06-uu is not an unspecified day in June 2004 but a "not as yet
specified day in June 2004". We, I feel, must think of "u" as a placeholder
and nothing other than a placeholder. That is why "2004-06-uu" has day
precision. The use of "u" is to explicitly declare that "at some point in
the future the respective u characters shall be replaced by digits"--- this
point in the future might be in 5 min or might be in the Messianic Era.
An event that began on an unspecified day (unspecified since the readability
was limited to month) should use as its start 2004-06, e.g.
   2004-06/2004-07-03
"The event began in June 2004 and ended on 3 July that year"
The form with "uu" would add "and I'll tell you the day of that month when
it started when I can"

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
http://www.nonmonotonic.net