 From: Saašha Metsärantala
> Rejecting anyURI does not mean that "xs:string" is what we really want.

But we don't say that the datatype is xs:string either. In fact the spec no longer is tied to XML in this manner, it doesn't specify any datatypes.

I don't think we should spend any further effort to engineer this since we don't have any real qualifiers yet.  However, if your concern is with spaces and parenthesis ...

The example:

      2001-21^(southern hemisphere)

I have changed to:

       2001-21^southernHemisphere

And:
  "When season is immediately followed by'^' then a qualifier follows the ^, enclosed in parentheses."

to:

  " When season is immediately followed by'^' then a qualifier follows the ^."

--Ray