In what editor or validation environment are you working? Text is allowed
as a child of p. You should not be getting an error. What is the specific
error message you are getting? FWIW, this is valid for me in oXygen:

<biogHist>
</biogHist>

as is this:

<biogHist>
</biogHist>

/Terry

  On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Michele R Combs
wrote:

> Hi guys --
>
> I'm creating some sample EAC records using the XSD schema from the
> website (http://eac.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/schema/cpf.xsd ).  I'm
> working on the bioghist, and it won't let me put text in a p element.
> It insists text is not allowed there and I must insert a <span> element
> to contain text.  The tag description says that the <p> element is
> allowed to contain text
> (http://www3.iath.virginia.edu/eac/cpf/tagLibrary/cpfTagLibrary.html#d1e5693
> ).  Perhaps the description is not up to date?  I know mixed content is
> frowned upon...
>
> If somebody could confirm that this is correct and not an error in the schema that would be great.
>
> Thanks --
>
> Michele

> Michele Combs
> Librarian for Manuscripts and Archives Processing
> Special Collections Research Center
> Syracuse University
> 315-443-2081

Terry Catapano
Special Collections Analyst/Librarian
Columbia University Libraries Digital Program
212-854-9942