Thanks, Terry.  Mark C. sent me a couple of samples and I tried a few experiments, and it looks like the problem is down to my version of XMetaL being too old to properly support the schema.  Our newer version of Oxygen handles it OK and the file validates.

Curse you, technology gap!

Michele

-----Original Message-----
From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Terry Catapano
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 11:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Question about EAC schema online

In what editor or validation environment are you working? Text is allowed as a child of p. You should not be getting an error. What is the specific error message you are getting? FWIW, this is valid for me in oXygen:

<biogHist>
</biogHist>

as is this:

<biogHist>
</biogHist>

/Terry

  On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Michele R Combs
wrote:

> Hi guys --
>
> I'm creating some sample EAC records using the XSD schema from the
> website (http://eac.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/schema/cpf.xsd ).  I'm
> working on the bioghist, and it won't let me put text in a p element.
> It insists text is not allowed there and I must insert a <span>
> element to contain text.  The tag description says that the <p>
> element is allowed to contain text
> (http://www3.iath.virginia.edu/eac/cpf/tagLibrary/cpfTagLibrary.html#d
> 1e5693 ).  Perhaps the description is not up to date?  I know mixed
> content is frowned upon...
>
> If somebody could confirm that this is correct and not an error in the schema that would be great.
>
> Thanks --
>
> Michele

> Michele Combs
> Librarian for Manuscripts and Archives Processing Special Collections
> Research Center Syracuse University
> 315-443-2081

Terry Catapano
Special Collections Analyst/Librarian
Columbia University Libraries Digital Program
212-854-9942