On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Michael Borries wrote:

> So far as I can make out from the records, Reuel Golden's
> Photojournalism, 1855 to the present : editor's choice (LCCN 2005033861)
> was published in Great Britain a year earlier as Witness : the world's
> greatest news photographers.

  AACR2 25.1A mentions the need to use uniform titles as partially
dependent on "1) how well the work is known, 2) how many manefestations of
the work are involved." Therein lies one distinction between Shakespeare
and Golden.

  AACR2 25.2B says in part "Relate editions not connected by uniform titles
by giving the title of the earlier edition in a note in the entry for the
later edition [etc.]."

  A single "edition" is defined in AARC2 in part as "copies ... issued by
the same entity."

  Thus: issues by different publishers, especially under different titles,
are considered to be different "editions", so 25.2B applies when 25.1A is
not significant.

  John G. Marr
  Cataloger
  CDS, UL
  Univ. of New Mexico
  Albuquerque, NM 87131

     **There are only 2 kinds of thinking: "out of the box" and "outside
the box."

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.