On Tue., Aug. 16, 2011 John Marr wrote (in part):

  AACR2 25.2B says in part "Relate editions not connected by uniform titles
by giving the title of the earlier edition in a note in the entry for the
later edition [etc.]."

 A single "edition" is defined in AARC2 in part as "copies ... issued by
the same entity."

 Thus: issues by different publishers, especially under different titles,
are considered to be different "editions", so 25.2B applies when 25.1A is
not significant.

However, AACR2 says at 25.3C1:  If a work is published simultaneously in the same language under different titles, use the title of the edition published in the home country of the cataloguing agency.

The example given is of a work published in the same year in both countries.  In the present case, the publication of the British and American editions is separated by a year, but there is only one copyright date, the date of the British edition.

The situation is complicated by the fact that LC and UKM chose to catalog the work somewhat differently.  LC used the title as the main entry, UKM used author as main entry.  Based on the 2011 edition (which I cataloged for one of our libraries; it may be a third edition or a reprint of the 2nd ed., it does not say; UKM and I used "[New ed.]"), I believe UKM's choice was the correct one -- the commentary is more important than the photographs.  The question will become what title to use when linking editions.  For editions published in this country, the title proper remains more or less the same (although, for the first edition, LC transcribed the title proper as Photojournalism, 1855 to the present).  The Australians, of course, used the British title for the first edition.  Users can, after all, have citations to either the British or the American title; it would be useful if they could know that it was the same work, at least for the first edition.

Michael S. Borries
CUNY Central Cataloging
151 East 25th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY  10010
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (646) 312-1687

john g marr <[log in to unmask]>

08/16/2011 05:04 PM

cc
Michael Borries <[log in to unmask]>
Subject
Re: [PCCLIST] Uniform title authority record needed

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Michael Borries wrote:

> So far as I can make out from the records, Reuel Golden's
> Photojournalism, 1855 to the present : editor's choice (LCCN 2005033861)
> was published in Great Britain a year earlier as Witness : the world's
> greatest news photographers.

 AACR2 25.1A mentions the need to use uniform titles as partially
dependent on "1) how well the work is known, 2) how many manefestations of
the work are involved." Therein lies one distinction between Shakespeare
and Golden.

 AACR2 25.2B says in part "Relate editions not connected by uniform titles
by giving the title of the earlier edition in a note in the entry for the
later edition [etc.]."

 A single "edition" is defined in AARC2 in part as "copies ... issued by
the same entity."

 Thus: issues by different publishers, especially under different titles,
are considered to be different "editions", so 25.2B applies when 25.1A is
not significant.

 John G. Marr
 Cataloger
 CDS, UL
 Univ. of New Mexico
 Albuquerque, NM 87131

    **There are only 2 kinds of thinking: "out of the box" and "outside
the box."

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.