My guess is that this old form of local place and state/province is a
remnant of North American centric thinking. But given the current
state of "Worldcat" and more importantly cataloging rules, it makes a
whole lot more sense to include the country for ALL countries.

Yes, I believe it is problematic for other places as well (imagine the
equivalent to Springfield), and I thank the Chinese catalogers for
taking the effort to try to make controlled subject headings more
understandable for China-related studies.

Sharon Domier
East Asian studies librarian