From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Fairclough
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] sources to use for establishing certain academic departments

PCCLIST readers:

Thank you for all the contributions so far!  Yes, we recognize that the department web site is an appropriate source, and it was very helpful to have this fact pointed out.  Obviously, opinions vary, from those who would follow a uniform pattern for the sake of consistency between departments, to those who insist on basing headings on source documents regardless of consistency (an application of literary warrant).  My colleague is working with an archival collection having no such authoritative source.  I even thought of asking the department for a copy of their letterhead stationery!

Below is another message sent privately and forwarded with permission.  Any further comments and insights will continue to be welcome.  - Ian

Ian Fairclough
George Mason University
703-993-2938 (office)