An interesting discussion. All I want to add is that we are seeking to
establish as the heading the form by which a body is commonly
identified, which will not necessarily be the "official" name. In cases
of variant names, the "official" name is the very last choice in the
24.2D pecking order (unless it is also the form by which the body is
commonly identified).

The perplexing cases are those where one form is de-emphasised by the
body in favour of another, but the previous preferred name persists as a
variant. It's often impossible to be certain whether to treat as a name
change, without the benefit of considerable hindsight.

Richard Moore
Authority Control Team Manager
The British Library

Tel.: +44 (0)1937 546806
E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>