From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Watters, Tim (MDE)
Sent: 12 August 2011 19:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] sources to use for establishing certain academic departments

I agree completely.

In at least one case the name appeared before the entity was legally organized. Michigan Public Act 135 of 1885 provides "... the asylum located at Traverse City shall be known, when organized, as the Northern Michigan Asylum" ( http://books.google.com/books?id=BlMyAAAAIAAJ ) but the corporate name authority record is based on an 1882 publication of those in involved in creating the new asylum and that name is what is reflected in the authority record:

110 2_ Northern Asylum for the Insane at Traverse City (Mich.)

http://lccn.loc.gov/no%2095023587

In 1903 the legislature reiterated in Public Act 217: "... the asylum located at Traverse City shall continue to be known as the Northern Michigan Asylum ... "

http://books.google.com/books?id=rjI4AAAAIAAJ

Unfortunately, the chain of name authority records continued to not reflect the official name:

110 2_ Northern Michigan Asylum at Traverse City

http://lccn.loc.gov/no%2095023588

Consequently the most comprehensive history of the asylum does not have the official name in the subject headings, although it is in the title of the book:

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/643443332

Tim

Tim Watters

Special Materials Cataloger