The red and blue "crepe'-y" tape was standard operating procedure in
the Hollywood recording studio scene from the 1960's forward. It is
1/4' wide paper tape and was available at the standard studio supply
outlets. The red and blue coding scheme was started (If i remember
correcytly) by Columbia Records. Tapes that were tails out were taped
off with blue and red was for heads out, usually found on 7" reels. I
still have some of that 1/4" colored paper tape.

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey audio Engineering.