Doubt of you'll find catalogs on line, and sorry not to have time for
extended discussions of topics your questions raise.  Have a look at
Ethnic recordings in America (Library of Congress, 1982)  You'll find
catalogs at LC, NYPL and UC Santa Barbara.

[ARSCLIST] How did the recording companies inform the various retail
outlets about what ethnic recordings they had for sale.

Eric Byron
to:
ARSCLIST
09/25/2011 01:34 PM

Sent by:
Please respond to Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List

I have been trying to figure out how the recording companies informed the
various retail outlets about what ethnic recordings they had for sale.  I
assume that at least by the 1920s companies, such as Victor and Columbia,
had catalogues similar to the ones that they issued for their regular
recordings. In fact, the 1923 Catalogue of Victor Records suggests that if

one wants more information on their Hebrew and Italian recordings they
should look at the Hebrew Catalogue and Italian Catalogue. I have looked
for
these catalogues online, but I have not found anything.

My questions include the following:

How did the companies inform the retail outlets about what they had for
sale?

If they issued catalogues for the various ethnic groups, for which groups
did they issue the catalogues?

When did they start issuing catalogues for anybody and for whom?

Most importantly, is it possible to get an ethnic catalogue, if such a
thing
existed, from you?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric Byron