Hi Erik,

I've always found that the best way to low noise is to keep the
analog audio out of the computer, Mac or PC.  The insides of a
computer are a very RF rich environment that frequently causes noise
in the audio.

As to which interface, it depends on how many channels you need.  For
two channels, I favor the Apogee Duet, now in model 2 configuration.
It's simple, compact elegant and sounds good.  It's also about $600.

Being somewhat budget constrained, and not doing much multi-track, my
interface for that is an older MOTU 896.  Not the greatest performer
initially, after being modified by Black Lion Audio, it was a whole
new machine.  Interestingly enough, the modifications were all to the
analog sections, an area that frequently is the Achilles heel of
processors.  You might look at the newer version.  I understand they
a much better than a stock mk 1.  There is also a version without mic
preamps if that better suits your needs.

As always, your mileage may vary.  BTW, I have been doing all my
recording with the Mac for a very long time.

Bob Cham