Hi Mike:

If I remember correctly, Rippe was transferring the films for Madacy. So what then happened? I never
saw any reissues from them except for that Beethoven cycle, which was from an old digital master
made from tape.

I'm not sure how Rippe lined up a 4-track head since the Everest films were 3-track, but there is a
good bit of latitude in that format due to the large guard bands between tracks.

As I understand it, Bernie Grundman did have a restored Westrex machine to do the Classic Records
reissues. He seems to have made digital transfers of 3-track and also a 3-2 mixdown. The LPs were
from a 3-2 mixdown, said by Classic to have been done in the analog domain. Classic sold DVD-Audio
discs that had 3-track and 2-channel stereo versions of the material, plus an accompanying 2-channel
audio CD.

From what I've been told by former archive folks at Polygram and then Universal, any of those 35mm
masters from that era (Everest, Mercury, Command) suffer from varying degrees of vinegar and
shrinkage. All of the still-existing Mercury film masters were reissued on CD in the 1990's, and
some of that playback was difficult even with the forgiving Westrex transport (the Westrex drive has
small sprocket wheels and thin sprocket pegs, so it can play through a moderate amount of shrinkage
as long as it's uniform and the film can rest flat against the head). Another 15 years of aging, and
the only solution nowadays is probably playback on those sprocket-less transports that also hold the
film firmly against the play head. I doubt there's any will to invest in that kind of effort.

Anyway, if Rippe did transfer film masters, are there plans to reissue those titles on CD?

BTW, I've been surprised to pick up Everest records pressed in California long after the original
company went out of business. This was from that iteration of the brand based in Los Angeles. Some
of those records appear to be re-presses from original masters or metal parts since they have the
same deadwax inscriptions in the same handwriting. Also same cover art, but not the fancy
silver-foil covers with the cardboard pull-out sleeve.

-- Tom Fine