Yes, "end-of-reel tape clips" is what the things in Scotch (3M)
reel-to-reel tapes were called. The 1960s. They came gratis in every box of  Scotch
recording tape. When new, the tape-ends were held down by a slender  piece of
tartan-patterned pressure-sensitive tape on the edge of the reel. One
sliced it off and was ready to use the tape.

  The tape clips were small, about 1/2" vertically in length on two  sides,
rounded on the bottoms, and just wide enough to fit over the tape  and
inside the reel, with a slot at the top. One was supposed to squeeze the  clip
sufficiently to permit the end of the tape to be caught in it, then slip  the
ends of the clip down over the tape on the reel. There were other such
devices and I might have a few here, but since I always bought Scotch recording
 tape that's what I mostly had and have.

  I never used them and still do not. Sorry to go into such detail for
ARSC members who already know all of this. More in replies to other  messages.

  Don Tait