> Please do not use these. I have seen edge damage on
> incoming tapes when these are forced over an uneven wind.
>
> Tape the end of the tape to the outside flange of the reel
> (or to itself in a pancake. If you can still find Zebra
> Tape, that is the best choice--someone dug up a
> five-to-ten year supply for me but it's all gone from that
> source.
>
> The red and blue crepe-y tape isn't bad.
>
> Scotch 811 removable "Magic" tape works reasonably well
> for something that is easy to get at a stationary store.

After the zebra tape ran out I switched to the green Scotch
stuff that they seem to have discontinued as well. It didn't
stick so well, and I have gone back and found in many cases
it has detached from the flange while sitting in the box.
I found some "zebra" tape online several years ago and
ordered a few rolls. It was not the same thing. very stiff
and the adhesive layer tended to seperate from the backing
layer. Dissapointing. Then I found some stuff from a film
supply company that was sort of cloth-like, like the tape
you use to tape up a hockey stick. It was very sticky. Too
sticky..
ATR Magnetics has recently introduced their own hold-down
tape. I just ordered 3 rolls. $12.98/215 Ft.
They also have white cardboard boxes for 5", 7" & 10.5"
reels.
http://usrecordingmedia.com/noname2.html

-Matt Sohn