From Alabama to Zimbabwe and all the way to Australia, you can now browse a growing list of geographic locations that are associated with the far-reaching manuscript and archival collections that are open for research at East Carolina University’s Special Collections Division.  To start your adventure, head on over to:
http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/browse.aspx?by=geographic
Here, you can scroll through an alphabetic list of location names, and you can also browse the map, clicking on any of the location clusters to zoom in for a closer look.  Once you have made a selection, you will see a pop-up that tells you how many collections that are associated with that location.  If you’re unfamiliar with a particular location, you can click on the “Wikipedia page” link to find out more.
This first crop of geographic locations has been culled from an array of Library of Congress Subject Headings and geographic card catalog entries that have already been applied to our collection guides over the years.  At launch, we have plotted 443 different locations, which contain 1,211 connections to our collections.  As more collections are cataloged, the number of locations and their connections will grow, strengthening this resource and making it even more useful as a starting point for serious research, or even just a casual online adventure.
For questions, contact the Special Collections Division at [log in to unmask] or 252-328-6671.