Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free
Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures,
entitled "The Investigation of the Lincoln Assassination" on Tuesday,
September 20th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in the Department of the Interior
Library.

The assassination of President Abraham Lincoln by John Wilkes Booth at
Ford’s Theatre on April 15, 1865 initiated one of the largest federal
investigations ever seen in United States history. Secretary of War Edwin
Stanton coordinated the investigation and called upon a number of officials
from Washington’s Metropolitan Police Department and the War Department to
aid in the inquiry.  Among those called upon by Stanton that night were
Metropolitan Police Superintendent A.C. Richards and War Department
stenographer James Tanner.  Richards was given a tip by one of his
detectives to investigate a boarding house owned by Mary Surratt on H
Street, NW to "find out all about this business."  Tanner was asked to
interview and take detailed notes from eyewitnesses to the assassination in
the immediate aftermath of the shooting.  Please join Park Rangers Mike
Robinson and Jeff Leary as they portray Metropolitan Police Superintendent
A.C. Richards and War Department stenographer James Tanner recollecting the
Investigation of the Lincoln Assassination.   They will relay the story of
how these two gentlemen helped initiate the inquiry that led to the death
of Booth and the capture of those others accused of conspiring to kill the
President.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the
Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in
Washington.  Space is limited so please contact the Library by phone at
(202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] to let us know you will be
coming.    For more information about future DOI Library Park Ranger
Speaker Series programs, we encourage you to visit our Park Ranger Speaker
Series website at http://library.doi.gov/programs/speaker/index.html.

We hope to see you on September 20th!

George Franchois
Director