Ted,

Regarding your final paragraph: Create a heading for the office (or shop, or heirs, or assigns). See LCRI 24.1A, under "Printers."

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
| 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ted P Gemberling
Sent: Thursday, 29 September 2011 12:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] When floruit dates are wrong

John,

That is confusing about an earlier 5th ed. in 1846. I noticed that last evening, too. However, the first (5th) ed. that had additions by William Guy was in 1875, and Guy says in that preface that 1875 was when Henry Renshaw “arranged with me for a 5th ed.” So Renshaw was still alive in 1875. He says Renshaw had passed away before the 6th edition.

I think a “Henry Renshaw (Firm)” heading is the best solution, since the imprint continued after his death, at least till 1899. However, if we’re not going to change the date on the personal name heading, I think it should be deleted.  I can’t see any evidence an ending date 1851 is correct.

I don’t like [personal name] (Firm) headings very much, generally. We had a local one in our catalog some years ago that was changed to the name of a completely extraneous corporate body by LTI, because the [personal name] (Firm) was a 410 on its authority record. I think you should only use (Firm) dates if they are nationally established. But in this case, I think we’ve done enough research to identify Henry Renshaw as a real firm.

We use publisher names as added entries in our catalog for our special collections materials. It can be a hassle sometimes. The worst dilemmas are the “At the office of the [periodical]” imprints. I’m always torn between creating an artificial heading for the “office” or using the title of the periodical. Neither seems really correct.

Thanks, Ted Gemberling

UAB Lister Hill Library