From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 3:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Undifferentiated personal names

I personally don't see why we need to wait for RDA to implement a new policy regarding undifferentiated personal names.  Simply change the policy to create a separate NAR for each different person.  If the access point on two personal name NARs is identical, code the 008/32 on both "b".
NACO normalization rules would need to be changed to allow two NARs to have the same 100 field.

One of the beauties of the suggestion to establish separate name authorities for persons with the same access point is that the separate authorities could then be linked to the proper bibliographic records (in Connexion, the control heading function could be used) and when the access point is changed to differentiate it from other NARs, the right headings in bib records would automatically get flipped in systems that used the link.  How this would work in many local ILSs is another question, but would probably be no less a problem than what we currently have when headings are pulled off of undifferentiated authority records.

Why wait to make this change in another 15 months or longer?

Adam

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries