---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Hilliker <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 2011/10/10
Subject: MODS vs. DC for IR metadata
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]

Dear Mrs. Dafermou,

We use MODS as our primary metadata schema for Academic Commons, the
research repository of Columbia University.  We have a variety of formats
in our repository: primarily articles and working papers in PDF at this
point, but an increasing amount of video, presentation slides, images, and
datasets.

We find that MODS is excellent for the basic description of most of our
content, although we are exploring the use of other schemas to provide
additional functionality, particularly for datasets.

In my opinion, Dublin Core would not provide sufficient descriptive detail
to support the faceted search-and-discovery layer that we have implemented
over top of the repository.  MODS is also easier to map into MARC to feed
back into the main library catalog if and where that is appropriate.

Please let me know if you have any other questions; I would be happy to
answer them.

Best,

Rob

PS. Ms. Bountouri, please feel free to re-post this to the MODS list.

------------------------------
Robert Hilliker, Ph. D.
Digital Repository Manager
Center for Digital Research and Scholarship
Columbia University
201 Lehman Library
International Affairs Building
420 West 118th Street