To the BIBFRAME mailing list

Danish Agency for Libraries and Media (DALM) had welcomed Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative launched by Library of Congress just after the launch in May 2011.

DALM is according to the Danish library act responsible for the Danish cataloguing rules and the Danish danMARC2 format, and we are actually examining the consequences of RDA.

We welcome the Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative. This initiative reflects a real need not only for MARC21, but for all MARC formats. We hope the initiative will result in a new internationally based bibliographic framework, which can be the “after MARC step” for the bibliographic world.

DALM offered and offers to take part in the process and look forward to be involved in the process.

We think that an international based process is very important. This can be done by involvement of several partners from many countries on voluntary basis in an open process. We hope that the process managed by Library of Congress will be that.

But in any case a more formal standard body must be ISO and TC46 Information and Documentation / SC4 Technical Interoperability to publish a future common international standard to replace the many current MARC formats.

Best regards,

Leif Andresen

Danish Agency for Libraries and Media