Karen,
I think you missed my point. The point wasn't to enrage music catalogers by
leaving a field or subfield behind that they simply must have -- it was
rather to determine a core of bibliographic description (which I submit the
data DOES tell us), then allow communities of interest to specify ways in
which that core can be decorated with what they require without ending up
where we did with MARC -- with an arguably bloated record (and I'm including
subfields here) that tries to be prepared for every eventuality. That's why
I suggested modularity as being an excellent strategy for accomplishing one
of my pet goals (to respond to Hal Cain's request):

� Simple aims should be simple to accomplish.

� Complexity should be avoided unless it is absolutely required to achieve
the goal.

� If complexity is required, it should be sequestered. That is, complexity
should not spill over to affect those who don�t need it to achieve their
goals.

When a MARC subfield is used 17 times out of 240 million records we may want
to consider just how important it is to create it, document it, and write
software to process it.
Roy