Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free
Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures,
entitled "Ford's Theatre and the Death of a President" on Tuesday, November
15th from 1:00 - 2:00 pm in the Department of the Interior Library.

At around 10:10 pm on the night of April 14, 1865 a single gunshot fired at
Ford’s Theatre in Washington, DC changed the course of a nation. The
gunshot, fired by Southern sympathizer and well-known actor John Wilkes
Booth, mortally wounded President Abraham Lincoln as he and his wife were
enjoying a performance of the play "Our American Cousin." President Lincoln
was carried across 10th Street to a boarding house and died there early the
next morning, becoming the first American president to be assassinated.
Booth's decision to pull the trigger not only ended the life of a
President, but also altered the nation's power and ability to reconstruct
after the Civil War.

Please join Ford’s Theatre Park Ranger Eric Martin as he portrays
Confederate private William S. Jett, the man who helped lead Booth to the
Richard Garrett Farm in Virginia where he ultimately met his end. He will
cover the conspiracy that led to the assassination along with Booth’s
12-day flight from the theatre into Southern Maryland and Virginia.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the
Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in
Washington.  Space is limited so please contact the Library by phone at
(202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] to let us know you will be
coming.    For more information about future DOI Library Park Ranger
Speaker Series programs, we encourage you to visit our Park Ranger Speaker
Series website at http://library.doi.gov/programs/speaker/index.html.

We hope to see you on November 15th!

George Franchois
Director