I would appreciate your assistance.  Engineers at one of our VA Medical Centers would like to know if there are any specific current federal standards for library shelving (non-structural elements).  They are also investigating current seismic standards and pertinent OSHA regulations.  The engineer interprets the general shelving guidelines in the VA engineering Technical Information Library that all shelving units higher than 4 feet would require a restraining “lip” to minimize material from tumbling off the shelves.  That’s a new one to me.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Nancy A. Clark

Director, Library Network Office
Department of Veterans Affairs