Our Commissioners at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission  (NRC) are very interested in learning if federal librarians find "Recommendations for Enhancing Reactor Safety in the 21st Century: The Near-Term Task Force Review of Insights From the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Accident"<http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1118/ML111861807.pdf>  clearly written and easy to understand.  This report is currently spotlighted on our Agency website and has been a popular choice for visitors to  nrc.gov in recent months.

Our Commissioners' request for a little of your time is conveyed below  by Mr. Lance Rakovan .  I'm certain that Mr. Rakovan would appreciate hearing your opinions, and also those of your interested  patrons and agency coworkers in information fields.  The NRC is very committed to explaining what we do and making information available in plain language.  We will find your input very valuable.

Sincerely yours,
Charles Gorday
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Technical Library

Federal Librarians -

I write in hopes that you may be able to take a moment to help me out with a project.

After the nuclear accident at Fukushima in Japan, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) created a task force to examine what happened and propose recommendations for action in the U.S.  The report the task force produced is very popular . Going forward, our Commissioners are very interested in making sure that we are communicating about this issue in a way the public can understand.  They have given us specific direction to look at the report from a plain language point of view, and to solicit feedback from people with no special knowledge of nuclear issues.

The report is located here: http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1118/ML111861807.pdf. If you can, please take a moment to read any portion of the report and provide your feedback in terms of how well you can and/or cannot understand it to the contact below. We are trying to use our federal partners to help us out with this initiative as polling members of the public can get complicated (as I'm sure a lot of you know) and we're on a pretty short timeline..

Contact:

Lance Rakovan

301-415-2589

If possible, please send any feedback by December 9th.

If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Rakovan directly.

Thank you for your consideration.