I've been following this with great interest and as a byproduct have
wondered about the differences between carefully compensating by angling
(in respect to radius of disc) a cartridge in the headshell on a straight
tone arm vs. a curved tonearm with same cartridge angle. This is assuming
that both tone arms have the same effective length and are of course
radial/pivoting and not tangential arms. I've been digging through the AES
E-library a bit haven't found any article covering this specifically with a
discussion of comparative distortion at select imperfect angles (although
have now read a lot on anti skate design, tone arm weight, rigidity, etc.).

I did come across a quite old article that's pretty interesting though and
close to what I'm looking for:

Carlson, R.E. (1954). Resonance, Tracking, and Distortion: An   Analysis of
Phonograph Pickup Arms. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. 2(3),
151-162.

especially pp. 157-158.

I've seen statements by companies saying s bent arms are better but I'd
like to see the documentation/detail.
Any direction to sources would be appreciated along with discussion  here.

Thanks,
Nathan Coy