On 18/12/2011, Nathan Coy wrote:

> I've been following this with great interest and as a byproduct have
> wondered about the differences between carefully compensating by
> angling (in respect to radius of disc) a cartridge in the headshell on
> a straight tone arm vs. a curved tonearm with same cartridge angle.
> This is assuming that both tone arms have the same effective length
> and are of course radial/pivoting and not tangential arms. I've been
> digging through the AES E-library a bit haven't found any article
> covering this specifically with a discussion of comparative distortion
> at select imperfect angles (although have now read a lot on anti skate
> design, tone arm weight, rigidity, etc.).
>
> I did come across a quite old article that's pretty interesting though
> and close to what I'm looking for:
>
> Carlson, R.E. (1954). Resonance, Tracking, and Distortion: An Analysis
> of Phonograph Pickup Arms. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society.
> 2(3), 151-162.
>
> especially pp. 157-158.
>
> I've seen statements by companies saying s bent arms are better but
> I'd like to see the documentation/detail. Any direction to sources
> would be appreciated along with discussion here.

A good place to look is in the Gramophone archives.

http://www.gramophone.net/

The "advanced" search allows you to confine the search to a range of
years - 1959 to 1975 would probably cover it, and "tracking" would be a
good search term.

These archives are OCR-ed from scans of the magazine.

Regards
--
Don Cox