As always, Richard has made some very astute comments regarding the
issue of re-hydration. I have only had experience with Magnetophon type
L tapes; the only type C tapes I have ever seen were in the Mullin
collection and a few reels in a couple of archives I've worked with.
Either way, you will need a set of modified guides for the 6.5mm tape (I
used a heavily modified Studer A-80 transport for most of these, which
required a bit of precision machining to get right, but other machines
with modified guides should work as well).

I used distilled water with a small amount of Kodak wetting agent, but I
don't think it makes too much difference. On most tapes, I've
re-tensioned the tape with a reverse (flipped) wind on the pack to
reduce cupping after about an initial 24 hour exposure, and then treated
it for another 24-48 hours before cleaning and playing. There are
probably some other viable approaches, but this has worked quite well on
a number acetate base tapes from the 1940's to the 1960's.

--Scott

Scott D. Smith CAS
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.