From: "Andrew Hamilton" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Straight Line Tracking was Stanton Turntable reviews....anyone?

The popular floor model lathes (Neumann and Scully) all have straight
pivoting pickup arms for checking the test grooves while being cut in spite
of having tangentially-advancing carriages for the cutter head.

There are so many tt's out there which pivot, even though it's a compromise,
that it might be best just to let disc playback be inherently flawed,
however enjoyable.

The fidelity decreases as a disc is played back on either straight,
S-shaped, or tangential pickup arms - even optically scanned grooves, since
the cutting was done with a constant angular velocity, resulting in
self-erasure.

The surface noises of galvanizing and pressing are quite pronounced and only
tolerable because of not being correlated to the audio.

As Al Grundy explains, the RIAA eq curve and Pop music don't shake hands
well - even if the curve is perfectly de-emphasized, since the practice of
close-miking and loud treble is incongruous with the motivation to boost the
high end (75 µs) by so much, merely to diminish surface noise.  It
necessitates compatibility processing such as low corner frequencies on Low
Pass filters, acceleration limiting, and peak limiting.

If you want good sound, attend a symphony performance in a suitable hall.
(*\*   On the other hand, Caruso thought the gramophone was excellent.

Cheers,
     Andrew

--
Serif Sound ♬ CD Premastering