Subject: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Treatment for Acetate Tapes
From: "Don Tait ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, December 09, 2011 3:42 pm
To: [log in to unmask]

I agree with Scott Phillips. I'd like to read everyone's comments about
this on the ARSC site if everyone is willing. Because I have some
acetate
tapes from circa 1957 that are dried, curled, and that I want to
preserve.

 I'll tell something that was told to me about a possible rescue method
by Mitchell Heller, who's been an engineer involved in recording since
the
early 1950s: humidity. Mitchell said the basic problem is that acetate
tape
dries out, and curls as a result. He recommended putting a piece of wet
cloth or paper towel in at least one corner of a tape enclosure, the
more
corners the better, trying to cover all openings of the enclosure with
something
like plastic wrap to trap the moisture inside, and letting it sit for a
while. He said that would rehydrate the tape and cause it to flatten
enough
to be played successfully.

 Despite my problems with a few acetate tapes I've never had the energy
to try it, so I don't know whether it works. Others probably will. In
any
case, that's my contribution. I hope to read others' thoughts about the
topic.

 Don Tait It would be a shame if it wasn't on list, this is important.
Perhaps
Richard Hess has some information, I believe he has played this tape
type
before...

Scott

--