Hi Raphaël

Do you keep it in a TASCAM leather case?  The first suspect would be fumes given off by the leather!  Some very aggressive chemicals are used in the preparation of leather.

Best wishes
Nigel
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Raphaël Parejo-Coudert [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 December 2011 21:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Tascam HD-P2 digital recorder curious rustphenomenon

Hello Alls,

I own a Tascam HD-P2 digital recorder for near 4 years and I appreciate its good sounding when used with my old Shure VP88 M-S stereo microphone.

But since the moment I've unpacked this recorder from its carton box, I've  noticed that all the connectors was appearing as a little rusty. The problem increased with the passing of the time.

Actually I cannot use anymore the firewire plug to connect the machine to my MacBook Pro, and the mike connections often suffer of this problem. the springs of the batteries housing compartment are also oxyded.

Another colleague which owns the same machine had observed the same problem.

In Transom.org Jeff Town review of the Tascam HD-P2 I discover that the same rusty connectors appears on the detailed pictures of the connectors. See:

Is someone of the list had observed the same phenomenon?

It appears not to be an isolated case.

Thank you.

Regards.

--
R. Parejo-Coudert

Ethnomusicologue / Ethnomusicologist / Etnomusicólogo

Anthropologie visuelle et sonore
Visual and Sound Anthropology
Antropología visual y sonora

Archives sonores - Archivos sonoros - Sound Archives