The MODS/MADS Editorial Committee is pleased to see the LC Bibliographic
Framework Transition Initiative launched, and believe the stated approach
to make the Transition Initiative a community effort is crucial to its
success.  We believe the future of metadata standards is flexible and, as
such, believe standards work will evolve beyond specifications of
individual element sets or data properties towards combinations of
properties that meet individual implementation needs and reflect the open
assumptions about data suggested by the networked environment.

Over the last several months, the MODS/MADS Editorial Committee has been
working to articulate a formal data model for MODS, by analyzing the
current XML Schema, User Guidelines, and implementation practices.  We
plan to publish this model as a textual specification.  An expression of
the model in RDF will either accompany the publication or follow shortly.
A formal data model for MODS will enable implementers to create alternate
In the future we will review the current MODS/XML schema in light of
therepresentations of MODS, such as one for a relational database schema.
defined MODS data model, and determine if a revised version of an XML
Schema that more fully conforms to the data model is useful to the
community.

We hope this data modeling
work will serve as one of many influences on the Bibliographic Framework
Transition Initiative's work.  More information about a formal data model
for MODS may be found at:

http://mods.pbworks.com/w/page/43886707/Formal%20data%20model%20for%20MODS%
20and%20MADS

Alternatively: http://bit.ly/sohX97

We also note that the term "framework" is sufficiently general as to prompt
questions. We recognize that it implies more than just a new record
format, but we also look forward to further clarification on what other
activities might and might not be in scope for this work.

Signed,
Jenn Riley, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chair, MODS/MADS
Editorial Committee
Jan Ashton, British LibraryAnn Caldwell, Brown University
John Chapman, OCLC
Gordon Dunsire, Consultant
Rebecca Guenther, Library of Congress (retired, consultant)
Reinhold Heuvelmann, German National Library
Bill Leonard, Library and Archives Canada
Sally McCallum, Library of Congress
Betsy McKelvey, Boston College
Jon Stroop, Princeton University
Imma Subirats, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Robin Wendler, Harvard University

Jenn Riley
Head, Carolina Digital Library and Archives
http://cdla.unc.edu/
http://www.lib.unc.edu/users/jlriley

(919) 843-5910