Traffic on this subject seems to have subsided before I was able to
suggest that those interested consult the article that I co-authored
with Seth Winner and Mike Shields on the matter of problems in full
track tape playback. ARSC Journal: Volume 34, No. 1: Spring,
2003....pages 48-53.

Happy New Year!

DDR

On 1/6/12, Richard L. Hess <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi, Tom,
>
> I think we're in complete agreement here. As the speed drops, the
> probability that one will generate a superior transfer with a narrower
> head increases. The same is true as the tape decays.
>
> The major points that I was making was:
>    -- Don't assume that any given speed/machine/tape combination will
> work better
>    -- Start with the FT head and only switch to a narrower head if you
> hear artifacts on the FT head
>    -- Transport guidance and topology does make a huge difference here
>
> I think you're saying the same thing. I like the premium Nortronics
> heads, and I like the Studer heads. The Woelke and Applied Magnetics
> heads also do a good job. I use all of these brands. I have many formats
> in two or more of the brands.
> FT Mono: Nortronics, Studer
> NAB: Applied Magnetics, Nortronics, Studer, Woelke
> DIN: Nortronics Studer, Woelke
>
> I find the differences to be more related to profile than to
> manufacturer. For example, the low frequency response on my NAB A-M
> heads is like my Studer because the face is broader. The Nortronics and
> the Woelke are a bit weaker on the low end. (on NAB)
>
> I also have a pair of Saki NAB heads, but they are too high inductance
> for any of the machines I have. NOS. I think they were for a Scully 280.
>
> With this stuff, everything makes a difference <sigh>.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>
> On 2012-01-06 7:45 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
>> Just to be clear about something -- I'm not saying you shouldn't use a
>> full-track head to play
>> full-track tapes whenever possible. What I said was, if the tape has
>> deteriorated or was slit so
>> that it won't travel well through your tape path, sometimes it's
>> necessary to play smaller parts of
>> the track so as not to get flangeing and "swishing" with high frequencies.
>>>

> --
> Aurora, Ontario, Canada           (905) 713 6733     1-877-TAPE-FIX

Dennis D. Rooney
303 W. 66th Street, 9HE
New York, NY 10023
212.874.9626