The SACD, like the LP, has found a niche in the audiophile community. Mobile Fidelity brand is now
owned or operated by Music Direct in Chicago. Chad Kassim (sp?) has his Acoustic Sounds retailer and
his Analogue Productions label, which also issues SACDs of old, remastered material. I don't think
the major classical labels are making new SACD product. BIS and a couple of other small players do
make new SACD product. Assuming there is enough product sold to keep a production plant busy, it
will be a niche for the foreseeable. However, unlike LPs, SACD's can't be pressed with a relatively
low startup cost. I believe there is Sony proprietary equipment involved in the mastering and
pressing, so if Sony loses interest that may be it for the niche. They've already lost interest in
DSD, but some licensees continue to use the technology. Sony has a history of not playing in niches
and cutting bait when there's not enough market for something.

As for multi-channel vs 2-channel SACD, I too like the multi-channel, but we fans of a speaker array
are a minority niche. If you look at the output from Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct, they are
going for the hi-rez 2-channel market with their reissues, just like they do with their LPs. There
was a short time where some old stuff came out remixed for surround (sometimes just doing some
matrix-messing with the old quad mixes from the 70's, sometimes remixing from the multi-tracks. For
instances, Universal put out Allman Brothers and Clapton classics in 5.1 surround, with what I think
are nice mixes (although "Layla" cannot be de-mudded not matter what they do). Capitol/EMI put out a
good-selling 5.1 remix of Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon." Sony put out many more-than-2-channel
offerings, including classic jazz and rock albums, and for a short time both Sony and Universal put
new classical offerings out in 5.1 surround. And we have the excellent RCA Living Stereo reissues,
many (but not all) are 3-channel. There was also some interesting (and some of it very
good-sounding) surround-release activity by orchestras, mainly LSO and CSO. All of this was an
ear-feast for people like me and Louis, but we are a minority, none of this caught on with the mass
market. It's the same for DVD, by the way. For all the money spent making 5.1 mega-soundtracks for
DVD, almost all DVD viewing is done through a TV set and 2 little speakers on the sides of the TV,
and more and more nowadays is being done on portable devices with earbuds (this kind of ties in with
Louis and Richard and their interesting comments).

Oh, one other thing kind of related, along the lines of what Richard was saying about "the kids"
wanting video with their audio. There was an interview with Bob Clearmountain in TapeOp magazine a
while back and he was talking about mixing surround movie sound for Scorcese's "Shine A Light"
(Rolling Stones docu-concert movie). Clearmountain said that Scorcese kept telling him to "forget
about how it sounds without the picture" and make whatever is the central focus of the picture
louder, also make the sound move with camera pans. This is sort of a return to the early days of
wide-screen multi-channel from the 50's. Clearmountain said it took some adjusting on his part, but
he noticed that the same thing had been done for the DVD remaster of "The Last Waltz" (which I have
and I noticed the same thing but only after I turned my back on the picture for a while). So it's a
whole different kind of surround sound mix when a picture is involved. This is one of a variety of
reasons why a typical home-theater surround-sound system is not good for playing music-only
high-fidelity multi-channel material (another reason being that the 5 speaker drivers are rarely of
the same size/type) My own experience is that you can get away with smaller rear/surround speakers,
but they need to be full-frequency down to at least 120hz. The front three speakers need to be the
same types, and need to be full-range and high-fidelity. Also, I'm of the view that you need left
and right subwoofers, that bass is more directional in the real world than some theory claims. The
good news is, you can get away with relatively lower-power amplifiers (again, they should all be
matched) because each amp is driving less power to move the same air since there are more
speaker-motors moving the air. Also, especially if you're using subwoofers, the front 3 don't need
to be massives. I've heard good results using high-quality bookshelf speakers on good stands at ear
level. In the best case, the guy used 5 of the same type bookshelves (they were PSB if I recall
correctly, not bank-breaking, bass sounded like it was good down to about 120hz) and a pair of those
Taiwan-made subwoofers, forgot the guy's name, which were shockingly good at high power levels (no
crunch, rattle or popping). My only beef was that you had to sit in a very specific place for there
not to be some turnover issues between the speakers and the subwoofers. But the big benefit for this
guy was, for a few thousands bucks, he had a system that sounded good for everything from action
movies to very detailed classical SACD's. Even Dolby and DTS music discs like the Beatles "Love"
extra disc sounded great on that system. Because the speakers were small, it wasn't capable of 120dB
SPL, but I measured a comfortable 90dB SPL peaks and the low-level stuff was not lost or unclear to
my ears. I should add that he made fiberglass panels to span the corners of the room and had a heavy
rug on the floor and had some creative fabric-drapes on the ceiling, so the room was quite dead and
neutral.

-- Tom Fine