Roderic,

Briefly looking at the Dolby A CAT 22 card, I'll assign numbers to the
blocks. It might  be useful to draw out blocks in this pattern and
connect them

1       2        3        7        11       12
                    4        8
                    5        9
                    6      10

The signal comes in via

(1) an input amplifier and low-pass filter (4 transistors).

(2) Then there is a filter driver and output 1 driver section (3
transistors).

(3), (4), (5), (6) There are four filters, each fed off (2) (with 2, 2,
4, and 3 transistors each -- 11 transistors)

Each filter feeds  (i.e. (3)-(7), (4)-(8), etc)

(7), (8) (9), (10) a dedicated compressor for each band (10 transistors
each -- 40 transistors)

These four feeds are summed into

(11) Noise reduction Signals Addition Stage (2 transistors)

There is an

(12) Output 2 amplifier (3 transistors).

which is fed from (2) in parallel with (3), (4), (5), and (6).

This uses 63 transistors (per channel) to this point!

The Record/Play switch takes a feed from (11) and switches it either to
(2) or (12).

The output for recording is taken off (2) and the output for playback is
taken off (12)

It is in phase (I believe) when switched to (2) and out of phase when
switched to (12), thereby adding during the record cycle and subtracting
during the play cycle.

What is interesting is that during record, the compressed signal sum
(from (11)) goes back through the filters and compressors (via (2)), but
is apparently subtracted in (12).

There are several other modules that are not part of the basic signal flow
(13) Line Output Amplifier (9 transistors)
(14) Dolby Tone Oscillator and Logic (8 transistors)
(15) Meter amplifier (2 transistors)
(16) Power stabilizer and midpoint reference (4 transistors)
for another 23 transistors--a total of 86 transistors per CAT22 card.
Couple that with several "Adjust on test" resistors and we're in a fine
mess.

As I understand it, the side chains only start to become active at about
-20 dBu.

I've never thought it a fun project to duplicate one of these <smile>.

Cheers,

Richard