-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Dolby Plugin

Dolby became necessary when everyone was using 8, 16 and then 24 tracks for
rock, pop, some jazz and
even some classical recording. I can see it being a huge benefit to keep
hiss buildup at bay when
you're combining all those tracks. However, it became an obsession in the
70's and 80's. Why was it
necessary to be used again on a 2-track master? 15IPS 2-track on low-noise
tape is very quiet, and
the Dolby can and often does squashes the sound, making "presence" and "high
end" tweaks necessary
in LP and CD mastering. The Dolby tracking falls off as the tape
self-erases, even if you set to
Dolby tones at the beginning, as I understand self-erasure that doesn't mean
that all components of
all dynamics erased at the same rates/ratios, so the Dolby tracking should
be adversely effected
(further "deadening" the sound and "washing out" the top end).

There are examples out there from the early days of 16-track where the
multitrack was running
low-noise tape at 30IPS, no NR, and the 2-track master was recorded at
30IPS, no NR. They are not
especially hissy. Dolby did allow economies of tape usage, no doubt there.

Sonically, it was a real mixed bag. As I understand it (having never used
it), SR was a leap
forward. I think the whole obsession with hiss was over-rated, but I agree
that 16 or 24 hissy
tracks mixed together is too noisy. If it were me producing, I would have
gone with higher speeds
and higher levels first, turning to NR only if nothing else worked. The
advent and wide acceptance
of Dolby also probably cut off some R&D in the tape world. What about
thicker emulsions like 35mm
mag-film? Also, what about 12 tracks per 2" instead of 16? That's the same
track width as 3-track
1/2" and should make for low-noise recording if low-noise tape was used at
higher operating levels.

-- Tom Fine