Tom you're 100% correct. The use of LN tape formulas, higher speed and lower track count were much more intelligent solutions though they were concomitantly more expensive as well.

I can tell you from experience that the SR technology blew all the other Dolby (Dubly) processes away completely. I used it just as the ADAT revolution began and it was astounding how quiet and transparent it was. If it had not come about at the exact moment of low cost digital multiple-tracks it was poised to be a revolutionary leap. I still have my SR unit and man that sucker is out of this world.

AA

P.S. if you are around a radio tomorrow check out the World Cafe with David Dye. He is doing a new series called Latin Roots and yours truly is doing the inaugural segment. I think you will dig it...

Sent from my iPhone