Kevin:

I've sure been there, too, wishing there were good ways to figure out who
did what in a MARC record!

I certainly disagree with Roy very strongly--provenance is one of the
things we're really REALLY going to need as we move to an environment where
we'll be managing data at the statement level collected from many places.
This was the sort of thing I learned to do when I was working in the NSDL
project, and for this librarian, it was a complete different way of looking
at data aggregation (but pretty nifty, too).

What I learned from that experience is that, when you're going to be doing
something with this data (not just displaying it to people looking at
catalogs), you need to know where it came from, when it was last updated,
how it was created (human or machine?), etc. Management of data at the
statement level (which for those of you attending ALA Midwinter, I'll be
talking about at the Cataloging Norms IG, at 10:30-noon on Saturday) isn't
rocket science, but it is quite different from the closed world of library
data, and definitely requires provenance information to do well.

We want to do this well, don't we?

Diane