Stephen Davis said on MARC (in addition to some other good points):

>If people feel it helps change the discourse usefully to stop saying
>"bibliographic records," fine.  But we will nonetheless need to continue to
>be able to distribute and ingest defined bibliographic packages or bags or
>baguettes, wrapped up in some fashion, however else that data is made available.

A very basic point indeed.

Something I don't see mentioned is that a new code or framework could
function like a classification system, bringing together similar data
elements, with related data  elements in proximity, and with some
philosophical underpinning for the order of elements.

This would make teaching, data entry, and programming for display so
much easier than the growing lack of logic in the order of MARC fields,
5XX being the worst offender.