Kelley McGrath <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There is now also a $v in some authority record fields for a source of
> information for a specific data element. I think this is supposed to
> contain a citation, although I wasn't able to find an example in the
> documentation. This is more granular, but it's not clear to me if it's more
> machine-interpretable.

I'm not aware of any examples either, though I've mocked up one for a
training session last year.  The $v--and $u--appear to exist to accommodate
those instructions found for several RDA elements in ch. 9-11 (headings and
descriptions of persons, families, and corporate bodies) and a couple under
ch. 6 (headings and descriptions of works and expressions) that call for
posting the source of the information recorded, e.g., "Indicate the source
from which the information on the gender of the person was derived applying
the instructions given under 8.12."  RDA 8.12 goes into a little more
detail on how to post such sources.  All of the examples given there at
present, however, mirror the approach now taken with the 670 and 675 field
content; the examples lack a greater variety of approaches to citing this
information, as might be found in the $v and $u.

It wouldn't surprise me if NACO folks are already looking into if and how
to use the $v and $u for element-level provenance.

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
Coordinator                    University of Minnesota