Quoting "J. McRee Elrod" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Roy Tennant questioned the utlility of:
>

>> - title page title
>> - cover title
>> - title from jewel case insert
>
> The absence of such information can result in duplicate records for
> the same resource, or the assumption that the same resource was issued
> under different titles.

We know that different libraries have different capabilities, so we
can probably agree that some library metadata won't make these
distinctions. One of the advantages of the data management technology
of the Semantic Web is that your system can have a hierarchy of
metadata:

title (broadest)
   - narrower: title page title
   - narrower: cover title

Some libraries can use the specific terms, some can use the broader
term, and yet those different selections can be used together because
the terms are linked. With this technology a search on "title" can
retrieve the narrower terms as well - or not, as you wish.

Obviously if some libraries use less precise information matching and
de-duplicating can also be less precise. However, the totality of the
information that you have, meaning some information from different
sources, can be used to make sense of things. So if MOST libraries
have stated that the title page title is "Title X" then you can assume
that an undifferentiated title "Title X" is a title page title. It's
not a 100% kind of match any more, but a more nuanced match (that
Simon probably has the correct terms for!). The Open Library used a
version of this in their determination of Works by using the
information from records that did have uniform titles to bring in
records for the same manifestation but that had not included the
uniform title.

kc

--
Karen Coyle