20.01.2012 08:34, J. McRee Elrod:

> Something I don't see mentioned is that a new code or framework could
> function like a classification system, bringing together similar data
> elements, with related data  elements in proximity, and with some
> philosophical underpinning for the order of elements.
>
> This would make teaching, data entry, and programming for display so
> much easier than the growing lack of logic in the order of MARC fields,
> 5XX being the worst offender.

That depends on whether or not the data structure will or should be
visible as such (like MARC) for the cataloger. Current thinking seems
to be against this. Any XML scheme, however, might be suboptimal
for that purpose. But I have yet to see a convincing catalogers' display
of data that might supersede MARC in all respects, esp. efficiency.

B.Eversberg