From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kevin M Randall
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Thoughts on provenance

Roy Tennant wrote:

> In all of my 37 years working in libraries I've never
> encountered a situation where it was necessary to know where the title
> came from to do useful work with bibliographic data. In what situations is this
> necessary, and why?

Okay, it looks like we've got two different meanings of "provenance" going on in this thread.  I think Kelley McGrath started out talking about "provenance" meaning WHO CREATED the metadata.  Because some of the message talked about sources of data on the resource, this got morphed into a discussion also about WHERE THE DATA APPEARED ON THE RESOURCE.

That being said, I think that *both* things are useful.  I would consider myself quite blessed if I were able to say that I've never needed to have this information through my entire career.  If we're talking about creator of the metadata, that would be very, very useful in so many situations.  In a MARC record, when there is more than one institution identified in the 040 field, there are many times I have needed to know, for example, which library changed to serial from active to ceased, or which library added a note or added entry--at the very least, so I could contact that library and determine if something I have in hand is really the same thing as what the other cataloger saw.  And if we're talking about where on the resource the data appears, that is also helpful, especially with resources having the same or similar titles, and/or bearing multiple publisher/issuing body names.

And in regard to the idea that we should "carry forward only what can be justified by real requirements from real users", I would certainly hope that we keep in mind that people who create, manipulate, and manage metadata ARE "real users"!

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.
Northwestern University Library