On Jan 11, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Roy Tennant wrote:
An assumption I see below is that provenance matters. Itís quite possible that it does, but allow me to question it. In all of my 37 years working in libraries Iíve never encountered a situation where it was necessary to know where the title came from to do useful work with bibliographic data. In what situations is this necessary, and why?

An area where it can matter is when merge/deduping result lists from different sources (say in a discovery service): provenance can be taken into consideration when determine which of two (or more) records are more authoritative.

Kind regards,

    -tree

Tom Emerson
Principal Software Engineer --- Search